Background to the School
Kincorth Academy’s coat of arms includes several symbols, which represent various historical links. The towers indicate the city of Aberdeenand the portcullis is the link between Kincorth and Arbroath Abbey. Prior to 1527, the lands on which the school stands, belonged to the Abbey of Arbroath.
In 1551 these lands were passed into the hands of Thomas Menzies of Pitfodels, Provost of Aberdeen. The colours of the Menzies family are red and white and one of the branches of the family has an eagle in its arms. The significance of the eagle is further enhanced by the fact that Kincorth stands on the most easterly point of the Grampians, an area inhabited by the eagle. The name Seann Coirthe is the Gaelic form of Kincorth.
In 1971 Kincorth Academy was opened to serve the Kincorth area which had largely developed in the late 1940s and 1950s. Kincorth Academy is a six-year, co-educational, non-denominational school. Today, it serves a catchment area which includes Kincorth, Redmoss, Nigg, Altens and Cove.