Kincorth Academy’s coat of arms includes several symbols, which represent various historical links. The towers indicate the city of Aberdeen and the portcullis is the link between Kincorth and Arbroath Abbey. Prior to 1527, the lands on which the school stands, belonged to the Abbey of Arbroath.
In 1551 these lands were passed into the hands of Thomas Menzies of Pitfodels, Provost of Aberdeen. The colours of the Menzies family are red and white and one of the branches of the family has an eagle in its arms. The significance of the eagle is further enhanced by the fact that Kincorth stands on the most easterly point of the Grampians, an area inhabited by the eagle. The name Seann Coirthe is the Gaelic form of Kincorth.
In 1971 Kincorth Academy was opened to serve the Kincorth area which had largely developed from the late 1940s to the 1960s. Kincorth Academy is a six-year co-educational, non-denominational school which does not provide any teaching by means of the Gaelic language. Today, it serves a catchment area which includes Kincorth, Redmoss, Nigg, Altens and Cove.
The school roll in September 2016 was 539:
|Year||No. of Pupils|
In September 2013 Aberdeen City Council took a decision to close both Kincorth Academy and neighbouring Torry Academy on account of the condition of both buildings and the falling rolls. The plan for the future is to build a new larger academy which will serve a catchment area covering the entire area of Aberdeen City which lies to the south of the River Dee. It is anticipated that this school will open in 2018 and will be called Lochside Academy.